Road Trip Unplugged
You are going to read this post and think this is the most Millennial thing you've ever read...
I've been travelling to British Columbia every three years since I was but an egg in my mother's ovaries. My parents have some pretty amazing friends who are still close with to this day.
Back BEFORE marriage and children my parents and their friends were some wild kids themselves. They started a tradition and travelled out to British Columbia every 3 years or so. The end destination was always McKenzie Beach just outside Tofino on Vancouver Island.
AFTER marriage and children hey continued the tradition and the group at McKenzie Beach grew.
The last time we started out West as a family was 2012 our trip was cut short when we got the news that my Great Grandma had passed away.
I had been longing to go back ever since. I finally have vacation time after changing jobs a couple times and my sister is back at school, which means she has a free summer! So we planned a road trip!
Since I work in marketing specifically, social media, I'm pretty attached to my phone. I promised myself that this trip would be "unplugged". I realize this is so sad but I made the following rules for my sister and I:
- Phone's will only be used for the following: Music (see the road trip playlist I've started at the bottom), Google Maps, phone calls and photos
- We get one hour of internet a day. (I want to keep an online journal on this website)
I'm looking forward to not answering to anything or anyone. I'll have to check in with my mother, of course, but it will be a nice break.
We have some pretty exciting things planned including:
- Visiting family in Calgary, AB
- Sightseeing and hiking at Lake Louise, AB
- Stopping in at our favourite hotel 3 Valley Gap close to Revelstoke, BC
- Visiting family in Vancouver, BC
- Doing the Grouse Grind... Again in Vancouver, BC
- Keyhole hot springs North of Whistler, BC
- Ziplining in Whistler, BC
- Camping at McKenzie Beach, BC
- Whale watching (ON A ZODIAC) in Tofino, BC
- Visiting family in Victoria, BC
- Currently trying to figure out where we will fit in white water rafting
- And LOTS of swimming in random bodies of water and hiking!
As promised, here is my road trip playlist I started. Please comment with your suggestions!